Gamecock Garnet Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gamecock Garnet Forums

Welcome to GamecockGarnet.com Your New Home for South Carolina Sports.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ben Axon Commits
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 am by Garnet&BlackAttack

» Tenn vs. USC
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 pm by Garnet&BlackAttack

» Here I am
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 8:48 pm by jackiesc77

» Gilmore picks Gamecocks
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 2:26 pm by Garnet&BlackAttack

» Week 7 Grades
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:45 am by Garnet&BlackAttack

» 2 SEC players of the week
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 1:27 pm by ChopTownBaLLa14

» USC vs. LSU time announced
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 am by Garnet&BlackAttack

» Carolina Wins!!
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 5:24 pm by Garnet&BlackAttack

» Kentucky Ties It
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 3:44 pm by wncmountaincock

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Statistics
We have 38 registered users
The newest registered user is davekitt

Our users have posted a total of 395 messages in 107 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 70 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 pm
Gallery
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Empty
Affiliates

Spurriers Weekly Media Conference

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garnet&BlackAttack
All-American Poster
All-American Poster

Number of posts : 144
Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-20

Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Empty
PostSubject: Spurriers Weekly Media Conference   Spurriers Weekly Media Conference Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 pm

On Tuesday Coach Spurrier held his weekly media conference here are the quotes covering basically everything he discussed.

Head Coach Steve Spurrier met with the media for his weekly press conference Tuesday afternoon in the Crews Building team room. Below are some excerpts from his press conference:

Opening Statement
We're looking forward to playing Saturday night at 7 o'clock. UAB is a team that is 1-3; they had a big win last week. Their head coach has been there two years and pretty much had to start from scratch. It's sort of a building job they have there. They play tough and I'm sure they'll come in here and give us fits. What we're trying to do is play a lot better this week. Play better offense, defense and special teams. We're sure to challenge all of our offensive guys to play at a higher effort level.

Quarterback position, we'll announce that Thursday as well as all the other offensive positions. Defense I think we're pretty set as far as who we'll start there. I know people want to see Stephen G. and the only to find out what he can do is to let him go play. The only injured guy I think is Kenny McKinley so we're pretty healthy.

On still working on keeping a solid starting lineup
It's not frustrating at all. It is what it is. That's why you keep trying people. If the guys are playing the way we try to coach them to play, they'll be solidly in there trying to go the distance all the time.

On the progress of the team after four years
I think it has changed a bit defensively. Our defensive kids are playing at a higher level. Offensively...it seems like we can be a little more active at times. I know our quarterback can play better too. He's played decently at times.

On if there will be any new starters
There may be a few. Sometimes you get hung up on stats. Interestingly, Vanderbilt is 4-0 and they're in the bottom of the league in total defense and total offense, so I saw. Their turnover margin, they're one of the top five in the nation so give those guys credit for playing real smart. That's how they're winning, they're out-smarting opponents.

On how new clock rules affect number of plays
They are getting short-changed. It is a faster game. The only way to stop the clock is to get incomplete passes. In our conference especially, it's a huge difference because there's not a whole bunch of incomplete passes.

On creating turnovers
Like Coach Ellis Johnson said the other day, we need to hit guys harder and knock the ball loose. This team this week will throw. They've got a quarterback that can throw and he can run out there. This is a mobile quarterback we're playing this week. Our defense will be tested and there will be a chance maybe for some turnovers.

On running backs
We're going to play Eric Baker and Brian Maddox this week. They'll have an opportunity to go play and see what happens.

On who has played consistently
I would say Cliff Matthews is one of our most consistent players and Emanuel Cook. Darian Stewart has been pretty consistent overall. Nate Pepper had about seven tackles in there last week. Offensively, Jared Cook has blocked better at tight end than he did last year. He's caught a bunch of passes and has played consistently I believe. The linemen have all been about the same it appears. Patrick DiMarco - our fullback - has been pretty consistent as well. He hasn't made any assignment errors.

On Chris Smelley
Chris Smelley has played pretty well; he just hasn't played great. I told him at some point you have to play great. Sometimes we just don't get the ball thrown and so forth. His short passes were very good the other day. The short ball was catchable; I just wish he could hit the big opportunities when they're there. Right now we're not even throwing it. He should get better; he just hasn't gotten to where we hope he can be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamecockgarnet.com

Spurriers Weekly Media Conference
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gamecock Garnet Forums :: News :: News-
Jump to:  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com